Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Almost to Eidsvoll


We should arrive in Eidsvoll today, after 3 days of walking out of Oslo suburbs. We've had an interesting mix of urban wayfinding, wheat fields, residential neighborhoods, and the occasional pilgrim church from the 12th century. Weather has been sunny and warm, in the mid 70s. We are already a bit 'solbrennt' from some long stretches of walking along asphalt roads in full sun. Aside from an attack of ravenous mosquitos the first night we set up the tent and a few blisters before our feet toughen up, we've had no problems. So far the route finding has been fairly straightforward with the help of a good Pilgrim's Way guidebook in Norwegian. Tomorrow we head towards Hamar and Lake Mjøsa.

5 comments:

  1. Wish I had the energy to do something like this. I'll enjoy the trip vicariously. Good luck, and I'll check in often to see how you're doing.

    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad to see you are on your way. I have been checking and wondering if you had decided not to blog. Blisters and sunburn....I am such a "non-adventurer". It is a good thing there are folks like you in the world. If I was the norm, the Vikings would never have made it to the new world!
    Happy walking. I will be checking in often too.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep up the good work! Use silk or nylon socks close to the skin and then cotton socks on top of that if you are walking in sneakers. Substitute cotton for smartwool/marino wool if you are using boots. This will help avoiding blisters.

    Bjorn

    ReplyDelete
  4. Marcy Roberts-WetzelJuly 2, 2010 at 3:28 PM

    This is a very impressive "walk" you are all going on! Good luck and have a blast !!
    Marcy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marcy Roberts-WetzelJuly 2, 2010 at 3:33 PM

    I hiked/walked Makapuu last week, which is most likely under 1 mile of hiking/walking, and was sore the next day. 15 miles a day??? That's really impressive to me -- I can't even imagine what it would feel like the next day after that much distance covered. What a great accomplishment day after day you must all be feeling. Keep up the great job!!
    Much Aloha, Marcy

    ReplyDelete